Thursday, March 26, 2015

Letting Go!




As I read the article and watched the video, I started to see a puzzle in my mind that began to fit together. Teacher Keys Effectiveness System (TKES), Student Learning Objectives (SLOs), Math Talks, Measurement of Academic Progress (MAP), and Georgia Milestone, to me, I feel as though these are all new tools that are put into place to guide teachers into the Gradual Release of Responsibility model.
Time after time I hear teachers complain about teaching a skill and then a few months later the students have forgotten the skill. I often wondered why students were not retaining the information given to them. Learning is not about memorization! Learning is acquiring knowledge about a skill through experience or being taught. When my district rolled out the information about SLOs and the Georgia Milestone tests teachers began to freak out! Instructional coaches began telling us that there would be different levels of questions based on depth of knowledge (DOK). I thought to myself, if I teach the skill and provide strategies I think the students will be fine. I often see teachers “teach to the test” just as the author stated about his soccer game. Teachers teach children depending on what is on the test, but never allow them to take the strategies they learn and apply them. If we continue to throw students life preservers they will never learn to swim.
I started doing math talks with my class this year. They were so accustomed to the old vertical math problems, it blew their minds when I gave them two 3 digit numbers and asked them to solve it horizontal.  I did not coach or guide them with the answer, they had to take a strategies we have learned and solve it. After about 3 they begin to let their minds work. It is hard to do that as a teacher, but we must learn to let go!
I see a great connection between inquiry learning, instructional technology, and great teaching. Inquiry based learning is like the age old saying, “Tell and I will forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand.” It is very important to allow learning to be student centered.  I love what Chris Lehmann said about incorporating technology.  Technology support inquiry based learning due to the fact that there is more information available besides what the teacher has in his/her brain. That is so true!!! He gave me ideas about using technology to contact the author of a book I may read. I could possibly do FaceTime or other ways of communication. There are endless ideas and opportunity with technology and inquiry based learning. I think teachers need to realize we teach kids and not subjects (Chris Lehman). 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with you about involving the students with the learning. I had forgotton the old saying "Tell them and they will forget, show them and they will remember, and involve them and they will understand." I used to have this posted in my classroom. I need to get another one and put in my library. Chris Lehmann, I really enjoyed listening him speak in the video. He made several good points about technology. The two I really liked were- there is no excuse for schools not to have the basic technology needs met and technology is oxygen. Can you imagine going one day without your cell phone? Across all age groups, this is a terrible thought. We would all be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Andrea! Now teachers have to incorporate technology to get children's attention. If we don't we lose them.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that I am one of the teachers you mentioned in your post. Although I am all for autonomy among students they have been trained and conditioned to not to be. We push for differentiation only to have the students take a standardized test. In fact, the test is so standardized that students across all levels (accelerated, regular, special ed) take the same test expected the same results. Then we have conditioned them to think they don't have to do their best. Our benchmarks are curved, resources are provided, and so when a teacher like me does ask for a bit of independence and responsibility they take it as a joke because they know that the administrators or someone higher up will make me provide for them or given them another opportunity... a second chance. I work in a BYOD system yet if I assign an activity with technology I'm expected to provide the technology for those who don't have it or give those students an alternative assignment. Why would a student choose to use their personal devices or bring the required material when they know that I'll have to provide for them anything they need to achieve the task? I setup video chats for review but also have to stay after school for the students who can't participate in the video chats. This means that I'm staying after school until 4:30/5:00 and then video chat from 7:00 to 8:00 or later (the time is set by parents and students who tell me that it can't be earlier because of the student's job or extra-curricular activities) And on top of that, I work in a PLC where the other teachers say to me, "just pass them" or "they're seniors so it's too late to try and change them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leramy, its hard to "just pass" students. It is hard to let go and let students take charge.... That is something we have to gradually do...

      Delete
  3. I see so many teachers teach to the test! It is honestly hard not to sometimes. I have to constantly keep in the back of my mind that I am preparing these children for life! Not just some test. If I teach to the test, what have they learned? It is a struggle sometimes because such an emphasis is placed on standardized tests but I know I have to do what is best for my students. That is to prepare them for the world by teaching them skills they need to know to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris Lehmann is a hero and an inspiration. He is an educational leader that has not lost the sense of what we should really be doing all of this for.

    ReplyDelete