Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Reflective Researching



When I need to find information about something I mainly use Google search. I  never stop to think whether there is a correct way and an incorrect way to search for information. I consider myself to be an informational searcher. I type in the keywords or the question for what I need answered. I often find the information that I need, but it sends me to a variety of sites that I really do not need.  If I am unable to find what I am searching for, I tend to repeat searches over and over.

 I feel we are all members of the Google Generation. The majority of people rely solely on the Internet to search for information. For the most part, the majority of people use Google and Yahoo as their main search engine. A lot of time we don’t take the time to validate that information for accuracy that we find on the web. Just as many teens that search the web, I also “Google” the majority of information I want to know. I do realize there are a plethora of sources other than Google.

I have never heard of filter bubble, but after watching the video it is kind of scary. I learned various ways to avoid filter bubble by erasing cookies, keeping my search history cleared, keeping my Facebook private and turning off targeted ads. I often wondered what the privacy web browser was all about. Now I know it is a way to help avoid the filter bubble. It keeps my searches private. I found there are several tips to effectively search for information based on what I am searching for. The coolest search strategy I learned about was the Google image search. I tried it, and found it to be very interesting!



3 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post, I thought you were talking about me. I thought I was a fairly good searcher until I read the articles for this week. I realized I was just like a teen searcher. I would do multiple searches using different words and different order of words. I always wondered why I would get these weird links in my searches. Very good reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about the filter bubble either. I feel the same way as you do. I knew that social media used that type of tactic, but I had never thought about search engines. What a powerful thing to show and demonstrate to my students. All of our readings this week make me think more and more about how I teach my students to use and find information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually use the privacy browsing frequently. Especially when I'm searching for gifts for my wife. That way nothing will pop up when she's on my computer that would give hints as to what items I may have been looking at.

    ReplyDelete